Hey! With Sensory Processing Disorder, a weighted blanket really helps me when I am anxious or stressed but sadly these are very expensive to buy.
Weighted blankets are heavy blankets and work like storm jackets do for dogs scared of fireworks. They make you feel as though you are being hugged or squeezed. I have made myself a large blanket as well as a lap blanket. I will be showing you how I did this! It still wasn’t cheap but we have heaps of poly pellets left over afterwards and it was still a cheaper option. Weighted blankets can otherwise be made of rice, pebbles, whatever your imagination can think of!
- Poly pellets/Rice/Pebbles (I recommend about 10% of your body weight worth)
- Sewing Machine
- Basic sewing machine skills
- Get 2 pieces of fabric the same size and sew a hem leaving a small gap to insert to poly pellets.
- Turn the blanket inside out so that the hems looks nicer
- Use a funnel to put poly pellets into the blanket
- Sew a horizontal line along the blanket with the poly pellets underneath it
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until your blanket is finished!
Congratulations, you have just made your own weighted blanket! Enjoy!